Friday, May 11, 2012

Cover Lover: Under Da' Sea! (Double-Take)

These are the confessions of a Cover-Lover. 

Confession #5

I always wanted to be a mermaid.

 

Now, which do you like? I wish one were the hardcover and one were the paperback. The one on the left is the finished cover and the one on the right was the ARC cover, however, when I got my ARC, it looked like this:


These covers are just a little fishy:


This cover looks so fake to me. Funny thing to say about an awesome book chock-full of imaginary or are they? beings.

Recently this cover got a make-over, and now Monstrous Beauty looks like this:


What do y'all think?


I know, I know, pretty model cover, I should be thrilled, but I can't help the feeling that this look has been done. So. Many. Times.


These covers are caught between tides.


I love the concept, but it lacks in editing. Sharper image, please!


Poor emaciated mermaid!

This cover sends me for a tail-spin!



I adore the colors. 

Another trend I've been spotting is the double-take. 

Do you see what I see?


We shall start with Through To You because it is a water cover, and a double take, which makes me want it three times as much.

AMAZING cover.


Another water/double-taker, but I don't love it nearly as much.


I WISH SHE HAD HER EYES OPEN! Because then it would complete the 'mirror' look and make the cover stand out against all these others, however it just falls flat. Not even the ripples resonate.


More like quadruple-take.


I don't know what is happening... but I'm pretty sure, it's awesome!


When this cover first debuted, Jeff West and I have a Twitter conversation where I basically presented everything I wasn't sure about with this cover and he answered with, "No, its awesome." Needless to say, it has grown on me, and the ginger was right.


Easiest way to win me over cover-wise? With color.


Not loving this one, but I do appreciate the new approach with one eye open.


A variation on the theme with bodies and faces!


I will never get over this cover. 



1 comment:

Little Miss Becky said...

I'm with you on a lot of these! OH, I do wish they had stayed with the original Vicious Deep, or at least released it as the hardback. Love Selection, love Lies Beneath---and I actually love the Of Poseidon cover, even with it's soft focus. :)

OH and Through To You...one of my favorite covers this year...gorgeous.